Monday, May 25, 2015

New tools of the trade

When I am not performing outside I work retail in a really really big mall here in the city of Edmonton called the West Edmonton Mall. I have worked there for a number of years and with a bit of patience i acquired a number of discarded widow displays and other items that I reused for the store where i work and for myself including this:
This might not look like much but it's been a real asset when painting costumes. Before i would often try and hang it from the roof somehow, usually with a coat hanger or bungee cord but with this i can easily adjust the height, its weighted at the bottom, and very portable. Not only did I find this i also found the upper half of a mannequin, meaning no more cardboard bodies to build under the sleeves and torso. Here is a costume I used for a Kids in the Hall concert here in the city:
The character I was replicating was literally called the Axe Murderer from a skit found here.
It took a while to get the right red blood look, but I am happy with the results. As you can see I'm using the mannequin to paint the suit and it felt so good to use that body shape while painting, I can see the features and where they laid on the suit. I didn't have to second guess myself and it makes me wish i found these plastic body parts soon. It would saved me a few headaches.

Now, if you have been fallowing my blog, I said I will be working on a puppet for my next costume, and I am, but I have been delayed again. I take responsibility for that, but I do fully intend to have a working piece just in time for this years Whyte Ave. Arts Walk taking place in July. I don't quite remember if I posted the prototype, it was..OK? I am not entirely happy with it and it needs time for a revision. In the mean time i will be working on the costume itself and will be looking for supplies in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment